I raced the Leadville 100 today. A few factoids from my day:
- Number of Gu’s consumed: 24 – representing 2400 calories
- Servings of Campbell’s Chicken and Stars Soup consumed: 2
- Amount of water drunk: 1 gallon
- Number of granola bars consumed: 6
- Number of brief interviews conducted for my cyclingnews.com story: 24
- Number of Advil consumed: 3
- Amount of time spent in the rain: none
- Most beneficial surprise: a tailwind – rather than the expected headwind – from mile 60 to mile 75, leaving me feeling good at the end of what is usually the part of the course that totally demoralizes me.
- Fast friends:
- Mark and Serena Warner won the Tandem category for the fourth time in a row
- Chucky Gibson took fourth overall with a time of 7:28. I can’t even imagine those kinds of times.
- Kenny Jones finished with a time of 8:08. Kenny and I used to ride together all the time before I moved; now he’s at a completely different level.
- Bry Christensen finished with a time of 8:48, getting that sub-9 time I’ve wanted so bad for so long.
- My behind
- My shoulders
- My neck
- My legs
Today’s weight: Right after the race, I probably weighed around 150. After a big ol’ dinner, I’m confident I’m back to being the fat cyclist. Considering how much I ate, maybe fatter than ever before.