I’ve got a favor to ask. Or, more accurately, as my 10-year-old son’s research assistant, I have a favor to ask. He’s working on a science project on reaction times, and he needs more data.
So I’m asking you to conduct a little experiment and send me the results. It’s easy, and it’s super-fun. Oh, yes. Super-duper-fun.
I worry that I may be overselling the “fun” aspect of this. Perhaps I should also emphasize that today’s Banjo Brothers Bike Bag Giveaway is based on participation in this experiment. Specifically, I’ll be selecting (at random) a winner from the people who send in information. The more people you collect info on, the greater your chances of winning.
How Fast Are You?
Here’s what you need:
- A ruler
- A table and chair
- A helper
Here’s what you do:
- Sit with your forearm on the surface of the table, with your writing hand extending over the edge.
- Have your helper position the ruler with the zero end between, but not touching, your thumb and fingers.
- Have your helper release the ruler without warning.
- As soon as the ruler is released, catch it as quickly as possible between your thumb and fingers.
- Repeat the process, noting your best effort of the two.
- Send me—either as a comment or as email—the following:
· Your age (it’s OK to just note “adult” for adults)
· Your gender
· Your best distance (rounded to the centimeter or half-inch)
Then do this same test on every single person you know, and send me their information, too. Make it an obsession. And while you’re at it, be sure to do this test on plenty of females. Looking at the results my son’s collected so far, I can see he’s shy around the ladies.
In the interest of full disclosure, I caught the ruler at 5 inches. That makes me faster than most, but not the fastest. The triathlete down the street beat me. Grrrr.
Thank you for your cooperation, and for your indulgence as I hijack my blog in the interest of my son’s grades.