A Very, Very Frazzled Note from Fatty: When I started this photo contest, I thought it would be cool to host the photos on my own site. It turns out that was sheer foolishness. I used a software packaged called Gallery, which evidently used so much server power as to set off all kinds of alarms at my web hosting service.
They shut me down.
So I spent a few minutes hyperventilating, then I begged to be put back online (see how useful begging is?). They agreed, providing I get my server usage under control.
So I uninstalled Gallery (Stupid Gallery) and created a new group on Flickr (a free photo hosting site owned by Yahoo), called — cleverly enough — Fat Cyclist.
And now I’ve edited today’s post so that the instructions work with this new gallery. For those of you who posted with the old gallery, I’ve already uploaded your photos into the new gallery.
Kenny Jones is one of my best friends, and is without question the hard-coriest cyclist I have ever met. He was one of the four cyclists in The Jack Mormon Militia, the first singlespeed team to ever win the 24 Hours of Moab.
Kenny is also the owner of Kenny’s Photo, a greatÂ photo lab that develops prints for both Internet customers and for locals.
Kenny’sÂ had an ad up on my site for some time, and recently I started pestering him that it’s time to give up some schwag. I proposed he sponsor a contest based around one of the following ideas:
- Choose Kenny’s Tattoo: Readers send in their ideas for Kenny’s first tattoo — what it should look like and where it should go. Kenny’s wife, having read the Very Helpful Comments this blog tends to attract,Â wasn’t super-keen on this notion.
- Get a Pull From Kenny: A random contest entrant gets to attach a bungee cord to Kenny’s bike for the duration of this year’s Leadville 100. The thing is, I would have totally rigged this race so that I win. I suspect there would have been questions about how that happened.
- A Photo Contest: How about if we had the first-ever Fat Cyclist Photo contest, where readers can upload their best bike-related photo, and the winner gets a big ol’ enlargement of their photo and $100 in credit at Kenny’s store? That wouldn’t be as cool as knowing that because of me, Kenny will always have a Fat Cyclist logo tattooed on each of his kneecaps (cuz I would have rigged the tattoo contest), but we can live with it.
And so it was settled. Today, we’re kicking off the first-ever Fat Cyclist Photo contest.
What You Can Win
The winner of the contest (you, natch)Â – selected not at random this time, but by Kenny — will get a massive print, professionally-enlarged (16″ x 20″ or 16Â x 24″, whatever makes sense), mounted on black foam board, Â and sprayed with a texture spray that also protects it from UV rays. Shipped to your door, as long as you live in the US.
The winner also gets $100 credit at Kenny’s store, good toward Internet print orders.
So thisÂ prize is worth more than $150.Â
Whatcha Gotta Do To See (or Submit) Photos in the Contest
Whether you’re going to submit a photo or just want to see what others are entering, you’re going to need to register with Flickr. Also, to see all the photos, you’ve got to join the Fat Cyclist Group. Luckily, that’s relatively painless. Just do this:
- First, to www.flickr.com/signup and follow the standard signup rigamarole to get registered. Luckily, it’s free.
- This step is important. If you don’t do this, you won’t be able to see all the photos: Once you’ve registered with Flickr, you need to join the Fat Cyclist group. That’s easy: Just go to www.flickr.com/groups/fatcyclist/Â and click Join this Group. Now you can see the photos for the photo contest at www.flickr.com/groups/fatcyclist/pool/.
How it Works
If you know how to use Flickr, you can skip this part. If, like me, you’re still totally novice to Flickr, here’s how you upload a picture.
- Go to the Flickr Upload page: www.flickr.com/photos/upload.
- Browse for your photo(s) –Â you can enter up to three photos in this contest. Photos are automatically resized, so don’t stress about having it be a particular size before you upload it.
- Click the Upload button at the bottom of the screen.
- Enter captions for each of your photos. Be interesting and descriptive. If you can’t be both, be one or the other.
- Click the Save button at the bottom of the page.
- Now you’ve got to make your photo part of the Fat Cyclist group. To do that, from your “Your Photos” page (you should be there already) click your picture. You should see options of what you can do with that photo above the picture now.
- Click “Send to Group” to make a menu drop down. From that menu, choose Fat Cyclist.
- OK, that’s it.
Your photos should be added to the gallery pretty much immediately.
Kenny will choose a winner this Sunday, and I’ll announce it on my blog on Monday. So you have a few days to enter.
A Plug For Kenny (and For Me, Too)
Whether you enter the contest or not, check out Kenny’s ad toward the top of the sidebar (right below the ad where I obnoxiously beg forÂ Â your Bloggies vote). He’ll give you $10 off your first order if you’re willing to admit you read my blog.Â Is it worth $10 to make that admission? You’ll have to make that choice yourself.
You know what? I’m excited to see what photos you submit.
Though I plan to continue to push Kenny to do the Tattoo contest next time.
PS: Today’s weight: 169.8, which is a loss of 3.2 pounds in one day. This tells me one thing: I must’ve gone to bed dehydrated.