We’re less than three weeks away from the first LiveStrong Challenge: the one in Seattle (June 21). I think this is a good moment to point out a few interesting facts about Team Fatty in general and Team Fatty-Seattle in particular.
- The combined Teams Fatty have 439 members, making us the largest team, by far.
- The combined Teams Fatty have raised $252,482 as of this moment, making us the top-earning team, by far. We have — as of this morning — crossed the QUARTER MILLION mark!
- Team Fatty-Seattle is the second smallest of the Teams Fatty, but has raised the second most amount of money — $84,692 — and is very close to overtaking Team Fatty-Austin.
- Team Fatty-Seattle is the top-ranked Seattle team, and has raised more than three times as much as the second-place team. Who is the second place-team? Microsoft. By the way, as a former ‘Softie’ myself, I issued a challenge for a friendly fundraising competition to Team Microsoft, giving them a generous handicap in spite of the fact that they’re a giant multinational corporation with a charitable contributions matching policy, and I’m…a blogger working out of a corner of my bedroom. They declined. Which is just as well, because we would have crushed them anyway.
- The Team Fatty-Seattle Co-Captain — and very frequent commenter — ClydeSteve, is by far and away the top-raising Team Fatty-Seattle fundraiser, having raised an incredible $17,535 so far. In fact, ClydeSteve is currently the top-raising individual of all of Team Fatty. ClydeSteve, you are a superhero.
- The only Team Fatty member — and coincidentally the only company in Team Fatty — to have earned more than ClydeSteve is Twin Six, currently at $26,986. Team Fatty-Austin is lucky to have Twin Six, because otherwise Team Fatty-Seattle would be way ahead. Twin Six, you guys are incredible.
And now for a few factoids we can — and will — definitely improve upon:
- There are 51 members of Team Fatty-Seattle (more than half) who haven’t raised the $250 necessary to participate in the LiveStrong Seattle event yet.
- There are 16 members of Team Fatty-Seattle who haven’t raised any money yet.
But I’m not here to bust your chops, Team Fatty-Seattleites. No, indeed. I’m here to give you a reason to give it all you’ve got for your final sprint.
Team Fatty-Seattle: Win a Revolution Wheelworks Road Wheelset
Check out the specs on these:
- Rim: 30mm Aero Alloy
- Hubs: Ultra serviceable sealed bearing hubs with 15mm aluminum axle and alloy freehub body 82g front / 222g rear
- Spokes: Pillar 14/17/14 bladed – 24 Radial front – 28 2x rear
- Nipples: Brass
- Weight: 1530 per pair
These wheels are in such high demand that they’re sold out ’til July. Which means the only way you can get a pair is by winning them.
And the only way you can win them is by being a member of Team Fatty-Seattle.
Here’s What You’ve Got to Do
First of all, let me make it perfectly clear: this contest is only for members of Team Fatty-Seattle. So Team Fatty-Seattle members — all 96 of you (I’m making ClydeSteve and me ineligible) — are the only ones who can win this nice wheelset.
To win, between now and Sunday (June 7) at midnight (MDT), you need to raise money, donated to your own LiveStrong Challenge page. For every $5.00 you raise, you get a virtual ticket, and then I’ll choose a number randomly for the winner.
Bear in mind that this contest is for money you raise between now and Sunday, not for money you’ve already raised.
Extra Incentive For Those Getting Started
As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, there are quite a few Team Fatty-Seattle members who haven’t hit the $250 mark, and several who haven’t raised any money at all, yet.
Well, here’s a reason for you to start sending out email to your friends.
- If you haven’t raised anything yet, you will get an extra 5 tickets (as if you had raised an extra $25) just for getting started.
- If you haven’t raised $250 yet, you will get an extra 5 tickets if you can get to that magic $250 mark.
So, yes, if you haven’t raised anything yet and during this next few days can get all the way up to $250, you’ll get an extra 10 tickets — 5 for getting started, and 5 for reaching $250.
And of course, no matter how much you’ve already raised, every $5.00 you can get someone to donate at your Team Fatty-Seattle LiveStrong page gets you another chance at those wheels.
And For Those of You Not on Team Fatty-Seattle
Don’t you worry; there will be contests for each team as your LiveStrong Challenge event gets close. Nobody will be left out.
And if you’re not on a team at all yet, well, maybe it’s time you join one and start getting seriously involved in the fight against cancer. There are links to each Team Fatty city page in my sidebar; click the city you want to sign up with, then click “Join Our Team” from that page.
There are going to be more and more giveaways, and raising money to fight cancer as a member of Team Fatty is going to be one of the best ways you can win.
A Final, Personal Note
Right now, I’m sitting at home, waiting for a company that does home X-Rays to come take some pictures of Susan’s left shoulder and collarbone. Yesterday when she was rolling over in bed, there was a nasty “pop” from that area, followed by a huge amount of pain — pain that a serious amount of morphine and Lortab have only been able to lessen, not stop.
I don’t know what’s wrong, but I’m pretty freaked out. I hate the sense of helplessness I have: a husband should be able to take care of his wife, and when stuff like this happens, I can’t help at all.
What helps — a little — is to know that I, along with you, am at least doing something in this fight. It’s not enough to help Susan, and I hate myself for not having done more sooner.
But it is something, and you’re all helping me feel like I’m doing something important. And that helps me. Thank you for that.
PS: If you don’t plan on attending any of the LiveStrong Challenges, you can now join Team Fatty with no signup fee. Just go to the Team Fatty HQ page for one of the cities — Seattle, San Jose, Philly, or Austin — and click the Join Our Team link from there. In the Fees area, select Virtual Challenge, and you won’t have to pay an event fee. So, if you’ve been sitting on the fence about joining Team Fatty, there’s your reason to join up.