I’ve got some great new prizes to announce, but first, I want to talk just a little bit about what we’re hoping to accomplish.
When we give a bike to a kid in Zambia, we are changing that kid’s life — not just for the moment, but permanently. We’re making it so that kid doesn’t have to walk four hours to cover the ten-mile trip to school and back.
That means the kid gets to school quicker. And safer.
And that means the kid is more likely to stay in school. And graduate. And get a better job.
In short, when we give a bike to a kid in Zambia, we are drastically improving that person’s chances at having a good life.
So really, what we are trying to do is give 1000 kids a better life.
I love that.
Where We Stand
If you take a look at the donation page for this contest, you’ll see that we just crossed the $70,000 mark. We’re trying to get to $134,000, so we’re just over halfway there.
$70,000 is a lot of money. Enough to buy 522 bikes. That’s pretty impressive.
But we don’t want to buy 522 bikes. We want to buy 1000.
And since the contest ends August 27, we don’t have much time left.
So we’re going to throw some more prizes in the pot. You know, just to give you an extra little nudge.
Hey, have you ever heard of Chris Horner? Yeah, I hear he’s a pro cyclist or something. Well, a couple of days ago, he tweeted this:
And what did he want to throw into the pot? This:
So yes, a jersey autographed by Chris Horner is now officially one of the things you can win by donating in the Grand Slam for Zambia contest (Thanks tons, Chris!)
Oh, and here’s a little something some of you may have heard about at some point or another:
Yup, RadioShack has thrown a 16Gb White iPhone into the fabulous Grand Slam for Zambia pot o’ prizes. This is exactly the phone that The Hammer uses, by the way, so that adds an extra measure of awesomeness, if that’s possible.
Seriously, the prize list for this contest is getting out of control.
Prizes Already in the Pot
The thing is, there was already a fairly outrageous number of prizes you can win in the Grand Slam for Zambia contest. For details, you should read my original post on the contest, my first follow-up post on the contest, and Johan Bruyneel’s description of the contest, but here’s a quick summary:
- World Bicycle Relief Africa Trip: Given if we hit the 1000-bike milestone
- Trek Travel 2012 Tour de France Paris Trip: Given if we hit the 750-bike milestone
- Official 2003 Tour de France Yellow Podium Tunic Signed by Lance Armstrong: Given if we hit the 500-bike milestone (reached!)
- Team RadioShack Trek Madone Bike (Race Ridden): Given if we hit the 250-bike milestone (reached!)
- SRAM Red Pro Gruppo: Given if we hit the 100-bike milestone (reached!)
- Specialized BG S-Works Road Shoes, donated by Boa Technology
- An Entry Into the 2012 Breckenridge Epic Stage Race
- Smartwool: Socks, Armwarmers, or Kneewarmers (30 winners!)
- Honey Stinger Smorgasbord (two winners!)
- Club Ride Apparel (two winners!)
- HED Ardennes SL Wheels
- Giro Aeon Helmets (two winners!)
- Strider No Pedal Balance Bikes (two winners!)
- $50 Road ID Gift Certificates (20 winners!)
- Team Radioshack Merchandise and Signed Items (four winners!)
- World Bicycle Relief Apparel (three winners!)
Wow. I mean, wow. That’s a lot of prizes. And every single one of them is a great prize.
How the Contest Works
Anyway, here are the basics:
- Click here to go to the donation page.
- Donate any amount, but at least $5.00.
- For every $5.00 you donate, you get a chance at a prize.
- If you donate $134 — enough to buy a bike — you get a bonus 3 chances. (If you donate in multiples of $134, you get a bonus 3 chances for each 134 you donate).
- You have between now and August 27, Midnight (MT) to donate.
- We’ll notify the winners by email and phone.
Please, change a life by buying a bike for a kid in Zambia. Who knows — maybe you’ll win one of the increasingly huge number of incredible prizes being offered.