This Grand Slam for Zambia project is getting out of control, in the best way possible.
First of all, we crossed the 750-Bike mark (our 3/4 mark) today. What does that mean? Well, it means that Trek Travel is going to send some lucky donor to the 2012 Tour de France, to witness the final stage on the Champs-Elysées.
Seriously, that’ s amazing.
But you know what? There’s even more awesomeness I get to tell you about today. And that awesomeness comes courtesy of National Champion Ben King, who has a prize he’s going to add to the pot.
Here, he’ll tell you about it himself:
And check out the jersey:
Want to own Ben’s National Champion jersey, signed by the team? Well, head on over to the donation page.
Of course, you’re not just getting a chance at Ben’s jersey, you’re also getting a shot at dozens of other very nice prizes. For example:
- World Bicycle Relief Africa Trip: Given if we hit the 1000-bike milestone
- Trek Travel 2012 Tour de France Paris Trip: Given if we hit the 750-bike milestone (reached!)
- Official 2003 Tour de France Yellow Podium Tunic Signed by Lance Armstrong: Given if we hit the 500-bike milestone (reached!)
- Team RadioShack Trek Madone Bike (Race Ridden): Given if we hit the 250-bike milestone (reached!)
- SRAM Red Pro Gruppo: Given if we hit the 100-bike milestone (reached!)
- Specialized BG S-Works Road Shoes, donated by Boa Technology
- Entry Into the 2012 Breckenridge Epic Stage Race
- Smartwool: Socks, Armwarmers, or Kneewarmers (30 winners!)
- Honey Stinger Smorgasbord (two winners!)
- Club Ride Apparel (two winners!)
- HED Ardennes SL Wheels
- Giro Aeon Helmets (two winners!)
- Strider No Pedal Balance Bikes (two winners!)
- $50 Road ID Gift Certificates (20 winners!)
- Team Radioshack Merchandise and Signed Items (four winners!)
- World Bicycle Relief Apparel (three winners!)
- 16Gb White iPhone from RadioShack
- Garmin® nüvi® 1390T 4.3? GPS from RadioShack
- Signed jersey by Chris Horner
I have never had such a prize list. Ever ever ever.
And with — as of this moment — enough money to buy 764 bikes raised we’re a mere $31.5K away from hitting our goal of $134,000.
At which point we’ll be able to give away the grand prize — a trip to Africa to see what World Bicycle Relief has been doing — as well as to put Grand Slam for Zambia stickers on a whole lotta bikes!
Why This Matters
Johan Bruyneel, the Sports Director for Team RadioShack, recently sent out an email to his subscribers. It explains how buying a bike — a $134 donation — affects the child you buy the bike for.
It’s worth taking a look at.