A Note from Fatty: Today at 1pm ET / 10am PT, I’ll be hosting a live interview / Q&A with James Huang, the CyclingNews and Bike Radar technical editor / god of bicycle knowledge. You can watch the interview below, though I suggest clicking here to Spreecast, where you can join in the chat and ask James questions yourself.
I’ve been a fan of James for — well, I don’t know how long. Years and years.
But I do know why I’m a fan of James. It’s because I’ve found I can trust him. He writes the fairest, most honest, and comprehensive bike gear reviews I’ve ever seen. His knowledge of bike gear runs as deep as mine runs shallow, and yet he writes clearly and cleanly, so even a dope like me can understand what he’s saying.
So I’ve invited him over for a chat, to talk about what it’s like to be privy to what’s coming next in the bike industry, to be paid to see and ride stuff daily that the rest of us can only dream of.
And to find out how and why he chose his Twitter moniker, @angryasian.
Best of all, James has agreed to answer questions. So if you’ve been wondering about getting a new bike or upgrading the one you have or are wondering about some other gear-related thing, this will be your chance to ask one of the very most informed guys in the business.
Join me today at 1pm ET / 12noon CT / 11am MT / 10am PT, either right here, or over at SpreeCast.
More Awesome Prizes In Grand Slam 2
Guess what? We’re down to less than a week in the Grand Slam 2 for Zambia: This Time It’s Personal. We’ve raised more than $111,111. Which means we’ve got just under $14,000 to raise in just under a week.
Now, just to refresh your memory, there are already a ridiculous number of prizes that will be awarded once this contest ends, including:
- A Specialized S-Works Roubaix, with the Zipp wheelset of your choice and SRAM Red components
- A Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon 29, with SRAM XX components, Rise 60 wheels, and Truvativ T40 bar and stem
- A deluxe trip to train with Patrick Dempsey and Tom Danielson at The Ranch resort in Malibu, California
- An All-Events, VIP Entry to Levi’s GranFondo, along with Levi’s 2012 Tour de France jersey and numbers
- A VIP Entry into the inaugural, by-invitation-only Rebecca’s Private Idaho, including flight, hotel, and entry into this exclusive event
- A Miir Wave or High 5 commuter bicycle
- 6 gift Certificates for $134 each from Twin Six, makers of beautiful biking clothing
- 3 Trips to Moab for the “Africa in Moab” experience
That is, I believe you will agree, a lot of amazing prizes. I believe you will further agree that the cause is as worthy as there could be: you are making it possible to give someone the chance to thrive, instead of just survive. You are giving them a way to stay in school, to get a better job. You’re giving them the chance to see what they can do if they have the power of a bicycle.
And you do all that good — and have a shot at all these prizes — by donating at my Grand Slam 2 page. Even $5 gets you a shot at all the prizes, with your chances improving as you donate more.
Just in case you come from some bizarre universe where I haven’t given you enough incentive to make a donation, though, today I’m going to reveal three more fantastic prizes.
Two Tickets to All Events at Chris Horner’s Cascade Gran Fondo
I’m going to be honest here: I’ve never been to Chris Horner’s Cascade Gran Fondo. However, I have been to Bend, Oregon (for the Leadman Tri 250), and can promise you this: Bend is beautiful, and the riding there is top-notch.
So I have a feeling that the Cascade Gran Fondo is going to kick butt. How could it not?
And the cool thing is, the winner of this prize will get to bring someone along, and you’ll get to go to not just the Gran Fondo ride and expo, but to all three events, including the VIP dinner and the evening of stories.
Hey, if you win this one, promise me you’ll take lots of pictures and write up the event for this blog, K?
Honey Stinger Smorgasbord
I don’t really need to tell you about how much I love Honey Stinger products, do I? I mean, I love pretty much every single thing they make. Their waffles. Their gels. Their energy chews. Everything. So I’m feeling no small amount of envy for the person who wins this prize. You’re going to be pretty much set for the season with this amount of Honey Stinger goodness:
- 1 box of each flavor Organic Stinger Waffle: Chocolate, Honey, Lemon, Vanilla, and Strawberry. That’s five boxes!
- 1 box of each flavor Organic Energy Gel: Honey Stinger Energy Gels are absolutely my endurance food of choice. I relied on them pretty much exclusively this year during the Leadville 100, the Leadman Tri 250, and the Breck Epic. They are — without question — my favorite gels of all time. And you’re going to get three boxes of them: Vanilla, Fruit Smoothie, and (my favorite) Acai & and Pomegranate
- 1 Honey Stinger Cycling Cap
- 1 Honey Stinger Trucker Hat
- 1 Honey Stinger Sticker Pack
Signed Ted King Jersey and Swag Bag
You are — alas — not pro cyclist Ted King. And I am not either (alas).
However, you can console yourself by winning a signed jersey from Ted King, along with a very cool swag bag of “I Am Not Ted King” gear, like this T-shirt and other assorted things, at Ted King’s discretion.
From what I understand, the first step in accepting that you are not Ted King is wearing a t-shirt that states as much.
So. Add these three cool new prizes to the 13 listed above, plus the two we’ve already given away, and that’s 18 prizes in this contest.
And the thing is, I’m still not done announcing all the prizes in the Grand Slam 2. Seriously, I’m not.
My point being, the number and awesomeness of the prizes, combined with the outstanding cause, combined with the fact that every dollar you donate during this fundraiser gets automatically matched, I’m going to assert that this is in fact the perfect storm of fundraisers.
So. Go donate. Please. And thanks.