This morning, I observed two important things:
- It’s cold outside. It was 4 degrees Fahrenheit (-15.5 Celsius) outside when I woke up this morning. That’s so cold that when I went out to my garage to ride the rollers (currently watching 24, Season 3), I immediately scurried back in to change into a long sleeve jersey and tights. Yes, I had to wear a long sleeve jersey and tights while riding in the garage. That’s cold.
- I’m fat. After my workout and shower, I got dressed for work. I noticed that my jeans, which have been feeling increasingly tightish the past few weeks, are now downright uncomfortable. I’d validate the obviousness of my winter weight gain with a scale, but I’m afraid of what I’ll find.
It would be easy to just tell myself that the cold weather, the buttload of work-related travel I’ve been doing, and the inexhaustible supply of chocolate laying around this time of year is just doing its annual thing and that I’ll get back down to a more reasonable weight after the holidays are over.
But this year, that’s not good enough. Now that both Lance and Floyd want to ride the Leadville 100 with me (sheesh, guys, will you please quit fighting over me?), I need to get myself in better shape than I ever have been before. And a bet with everyone who’s willing to take me up on it is just the motivation I need.
So I’m pleased to announce the …
Banjo Brothers’ Big Bad Bulky Biker Bodyfat (B7) Challenge
Last year, Al Maviva and a few other people had a contest where they — over the course of the season — tracked their weight loss and improvement on the bike. Then, earlier this week, In the comments section here, Al proposed expanding this contest out to anyone who wants to participate.
I like the idea, but I think I can make it a little more interesting. Here’s how.
Cool Prizes For Sure, Even Cooler Prizes Possible
I believe that last year Al gave away some moldy cheese as First Prize. We can do better. I checked with the Banjo Brothers, and they agreed to be the title sponsor for the contest. Here’s what I asked for:
- First Prize: A Banjo Brothers Backpack or Messenger bag
- Second Prize: A Banjo Brothers Seatpack
- Third Prize: A Banjo Brothers Pocket Messenger bag
Mike, the Banjo Brother I can always rely on to cough up the free stuff, also hinted that he may be able to sweeten the pot beyond that. And I haven’t even started talking with other Ads-for-Schwag partners. By the time this contest ends, the prizes could be huge.
More Prizes: Our Personal Bet
The thing is, I want this contest to feel a little more, well, personal. So I’d like to make a wager — apart from the prizes that will be given away — with everyone. Here’s how it goes:
- If you do better than me, I will give you a Fat Cyclist jersey (yes, there will be a Fat Cyclist jersey). This offer is good anywhere in the world. Including Turkey, Tayfur. Yes, I’m telling you that if you do better than I do, I’ll give you a ~$70 jersey. And it will be a very, very cool jersey. Cooler than I originally expected it to be, for reasons I cannot yet make public. Trust me.
- If I do better than you, you’ve got to give me something cool. You’ve got to think of what that will be and post it in the new-specially created Banjo Brothers’ Big Bad Bulky Biker Bodyfat (B7) Challenge. I will reply to your topic, telling you whether I accept or decline your bet. I am not necessarily looking for something expensive. Just something that catches my interest. Though I’m not opposed to cool and expensive
- If you do better than Al Maviva, I will give you a 50% discount on whatever the cost of the Fat Cyclist jersey winds up being. Cuz I’d like to see as many people beat Al Maviva as humanly possible.
How to Enter
Entering the Banjo Brothers’ Big Bad Bulky Biker Bodyfat Challenge is easy. Here’s what you do:
- Go to the Banjo Brothers’ Big Bad Bulky Biker Bodyfat (B7) Challenge forum and create a new topic for yourself. Give the topic a clever and unique subject. Something that will encourage others to take a look at your personal challenge.
- List your current weight, your goal weight for August 1, and what you’re willing to give me if I do better at this contest than you do.
- Check back often for my reply. I’ll either accept or decline with comment. If I don’t like what you have to offer as a wager or think your goal is puny, I’ll say so and you’ll have to try again.
- Once you’re in, you’re in. If you give up, you owe me whatever we agree upon. How’s that for incentive?
- At the beginning of each month, you’ll need to post your current weight and how you did at a three-mile time trial (solo ride) on a course you’ll determine for yourself. Your ranking will be determined as a percentage of progress against your goal and improvement on your time trial course. (I hereby assign Al Maviva to post the details of the rules in the forum.) BotchedExperiment will compile all the numbers and use a complex (but fair) algorithm to determine rankings.
- The final check-in will be August 1. That one’s mandatory. If you miss that check-in, you lose. Can’t win the race if you don’t cross the finish line.
You have until January 5 to enter, but I suggest you do it right now, or you’ll forget.
Please join in. It will be fun.
And I look forward to beating all of you.
PS: Earlier, I mistakenly posted that the time trial was a three-minute deal. Caloi caught my error, and it’s been fixed. It’s three miles. I regret any confusion I may have caused, but I don’t regret it very much.