I don’t love this new jersey any more than any of the other designs. Even though the primarily black jersey is almost unbearably cool. Or that the Clydesdale silhouette on the back makes me start singing Johnny Cash every time I see it. Or that every single one of them has the "WIN" mark, in pink, big and bold on the right sleeve, and the "Team Fatty Fighting for Susan" in the collar.
And then there’s the accent color stitching.
Oh mercy. I can hardly wait for this new jersey to arrive.
Pre-Ordering: One Week ONLY, Starts Today
If you — like I — want to make sure you get the new Fat Cyclist jersey, you definitely will want to pre-order yours, and the pre-ordering starts today. As in now. As in, you can click here to order a men’s jersey, or click here to order a women’s jersey.
Why pre-order? I’m glad you asked.
Last year, we didn’t do a Fat Cyclist jersey pre-order. We just ordered a bunch, and then when they came in, we put them on sale.
They sold out almost instantly. A lot of people had a hard time getting the jersey size / gender combo they wanted.
So, for this week only — July 14 through July 20 — you can pre-order your jersey, ensuring you get exactly the right size / gender combo you want.
On July 21st, the Twin Six guys will place the order. Sure, they’ll order some extras, but I wouldn’t count on getting one of those.
And then, you and I can sit back and wait for our jerseys to arrive in early November. This will be your most awesome Fall-weather jersey ever. And I daresay it will be your most awesome Spring and Summer jersey, too.
Oh, and the jerseys will come in plenty of time for you to give them as Christmas gifts, for those of you who actually think that far ahead (Susan usually has Christmas gifts planned out for the whole family by April; I tend to start thinking about Christmas gifts just in time to fly into a panic).
Here are the answers to some of the questions I’ve been getting about these jerseys.
- Cost: The jerseys will cost $US70.00 during this pre-order event. The price will go up for people who buy jerseys after they arrive. Note: even though your jersey will be shipped when it arrives this autumn, you will be charged for the jersey when you place the order.
- Sizing: For men, the jerseys fit about like a similarly-sized t-shirt, but a little snugger. If a Large t-shirt fits you tight, for example, you may want to go with an XL jersey. For women, plan to buy the same size jersey as you would a women’s t-shirt.
- International Availability: You can buy jerseys outside the US, but of course you’re going to have to pay a little extra in shipping. That shouldn’t hurt your feelings too badly, though, since the weak dollar currently makes buying anything from the US the deal of the century.
- Accessories: Yes, we’re looking into bike clothing that goes with this jersey. We haven’t locked any of that down yet, but of course as soon as we get even remotely close, I’ll note it on the blog.
- 201: The "201" on the left sleeve goes with the Fat Cyclist Clydesdale logo. Since 200 pounds is the traditional threshold for being in the Clydesdale category, this jersey goes to 201.
- Inside the Collar: The text inside the collar reads "Team Fatty Fighting for Susan." This is in support of my wife, who’s fighting metastatic breast cancer (and who is starting three weeks of radiation on her right hip today, by the way). When you buy a jersey, you’re contributing to Susan’s "WIN" fund, which I use to pay medical bills and do fun stuff with Susan and the kids. So you’re not just looking awesome; you’re actually doing something philanthropic. That’s just your way.
As Long As You’re Ordering…
I want to point out that Twin Six really goes out of its way for me when it does the Fat Cyclist jerseys. For one thing, they are really cool about honoring my input into the design process. For another thing, they have basically put their other projects on hold while they prioritized my jersey design. And for the final thing, doing this pre-order thing is kind of a pain for them, but they’re doing it anyway because I asked them to.
So, if I may, I’d like to recommend you support their business. It’s easy. When you buy your Fat Cyclist jersey, look around their site at the other Twin Six jerseys and T-shirts. If you see something you like, add it to your order.
By the way, the other stuff you order will be shipped right away — Twin Six isn’t going to make you wait for the rest of your order ’til my jerseys arrive.
But only if you’re a woman, for crying out loud.
PS: Since my wipeout on Wednesday, I haven’t been on a bike at all. I’ve decided that, this evening, if I’m strong enough to put the new tire my road bike needs on, I’m strong enough to ride tomorrow. On the road, on the flats where I don’t ever have to stand up and pull on the handlebars.
PPS: I’ve started using Twitter, just to see if I like it. Basically it’s a place where I can leave random one-sentence thoughts. Click here to read it. If I decide I like it, I’ll incorporate it into my blog sidebar. Let me know what you think.