Yesterday, I had LASIK surgery, correcting my nearsightedness. The most awesome part of this, of course, was that I then got to spend the rest of the day laying around in bed, taking long naps. With total impunity. It was a rare and wonderful thing.
And, of course, I got to put lots and lots of eyedrops in my eyes. Three different kinds of eyedrops.
And now, today, I find the following things are true about my eyesight:
- I get a cool halo effect around lights, or anything that has light reflecting off it. As if I were in a love scene in a movie. Without, of course, any of the actual love scene stuff happening.
- Stuff that seemed really blurry because it was far away no longer seems blurry at all.
- The heat vision I requested doesn’t seem to be working yet.
- The ability to shoot laser beams from my eyes is also (temporarily, I’m sure) still not quite there. That will come with time, though.
Of course, I’m sure that you are — right this very second — saying to yourself, “I sure wish I could have been there to witness Fatty’s LASIK surgery. And you can! Here’s the actual video of my eyes being laser-ified. Not for the squeamish. Or for the person who doesn’t have eleven minutes lying around.
Also, I’ve been told that I shouldn’t read or use the computer for 24 hours, which means that I am currently disobeying the Dr. Lasik’s (not his real name) orders.
But the thing is, I want to get your advice. So I’ve got a short post, with the hope that you’ll give me some useful ideas.
Next Year…And Beyond
It’s been a crazy-busy year. I’ve raced, ridden, and run in some awesome places.
But now, suddenly, all those things are behind me. So now I’ve got to figure out what should be my objectives for next year? What races should I do? What events should I attend? Of course, I want to do some of my favorite traditional events, but I’d like to see some new stuff as well.
So far, here are the things The Runner and I have planned for 2011:
- Ogden Marathon (May 21): This is The Runner’s favorite marathon. It’s local, it’s beautiful. She’s especially excited about this one because we’ve agreed she should train hard for this one and do it fast, without waiting up for me.
- LiveStrong Challenge Bay Area (June ?): Team Fatty will be at all the LiveStrong Challenges, but I’m going to make a special effort to be at this one in person.
- Leadville 100 (August 13): This year, my plan is to do it on a geared bike and make one last serious effort at a sub-9-hour finish. Having done the race in 9:17 on a SS, I think that’s possible.
- Levi’s Gran Fondo (October 1): I loved this ride. A lot.
- Death Valley Marathon (December): We had planned to do this marathon this December, but I am far too broken down to do it. Our revised plan is for me to actually try building a running base and get so I can do a marathon without messing myself up in the process. What a clever idea!
- Disney World “Goofy’s Race and a Half” Challenge (January 2012): Okay, this is actually in 2012, but it’s close enough that we’re putting it on the schedule anyway. The Runner wants to do the “Goofy’s Challenge” at Disney World, which is where you do a half marathon one day, and a full marathon the next. I will probably join her for one or the other, but not both.
But What Else?
Here’s the thing, though. I want to do some new stuff. Try some different rides, some different races.
And that’s where I want your help.
I expect that a lot of you have been thinking about your big objectives — races, events, or just plain rides — you want to do next year (or the year after that, or the year after that). And there’s a good chance that this big ride you’ve got in mind is something I would love to do.
So leave a comment, describing it. Tell me what it is, and when it is. Road or mountain. In the US, or outside it. And if you’ve got a URL, that helps too.
The world’s full of awesome places to ride, and I want to see some of them.
So help me out.