100 KoN Race Report: First-time Viking edition

11.17.2016 | 8:58 am

A Note from Fatty: I’m always excited when I get an outside-the-US 100MoN race report, and I’m always excited when I get a race report from a first-timer. So this report — by Erin B of Trondheim, Norway — is a double-whammy of awesomeness. Enjoy!

100 KoN Race Report: First-time Viking edition
by Erin B  

I signed up for the 100MoN this year after binge-reading race reports from previous years. One would think that this extensive research would lead me to prepare properly for the event, but never fear: there was a significant time lag before the actual race, and I jumped in with a minimum of training and planning.

I should admit now that I am a stronger swimmer than cyclist (most of my riding falls in the “commuting” category), and that the weather in Trondheim in November is quite unpredictable. I had a route in mind: an out-and-back route from my apartment to the ski jump at Granåsen. It’s the flattest route I could think of, has a separated multi-use path, and would allow my support crew to be at home writing his thesis for most of the day. The big question when I signed up was: which bike and which tires would I use?

A few inches of snow made the decision pretty easy: my mountain bike in winter form (studded tires) would be the only safe option. They also made the distance pretty clear: 100 km on soft snow and ice, with the extra resistance of studded tires, is about all this fish out of water would be able to manage.

The only other planned aspect was that I would have to carry out the race in a few stages, since last-minute plans involved a visit from friends at 10am. In an effort to make the most of the day, I headed out on the ice and snow at 8 am, in generally nice conditions (0 degrees C and overcast).

The starting line…

The first lap was mostly a reconnaissance mission: my extensive planning didn’t include figuring out the length of the course, and I needed to get an overview of the snow and ice conditions on my path. No regrets on the choice of tires: it was going to be a slow slog through softening snow and a few ice patches.

The course started with a short uphill, followed by a small descent, then a long gradual climb, all of which was reversed on the way back. The round-trip turned out to be almost exactly 8 km, and the first lap took about 26 minutes. This was promising: I could get 4 laps in before the visit, and my legs felt pretty good. The second lap brought a bit more daylight, but my feet were already starting to freeze.

The importance of a route near home was never more obvious: a short pit stop was all that was needed to get a few extra layers. I knocked out two more laps as planned, and managed to put on some dry clothes before taking a cozy 4-hour break to catch up with our visitors from Oslo.

I was feeling pretty confident when I set out on the next stage: I was already almost 1/3 done; this would be easy, right?

The temperatures were hovering above freezing, though, which effectively just increased the resistance in the softening snow. There were also a lot of pedestrians out on their traditional Sunday walk during the second stage. None of them did more than stare when I somewhat randomly did a u-turn at the ski jump and headed back in the other direction. I wonder if the reactions would be equally nonchalant elsewhere…

Since my route required 12.5 laps, I decided that it would be good to crank out 5 of them in stage 2, so that the last stage would be a bit more manageable. I enlisted my boyfriend to join for a lap to take a few photos before the sun went down, and tried to pretend that all was still going great. The truth was that my feet were freezing and the second third of the race seemed to be going way slower than the first.

Nearing the ski jump (visible on the left) in the fading light.

The multi-use path isn’t plowed, but they do compact the snow a bit. It’s better for the bike than all the salt on the road, anyhow!

Time to turn around again. The snow from last winter is used for the cross-country ski trails in case we don’t get enough early snow.

I struggled through the end of stage 2 as darkness fell, dreaming about some warm food and extra pairs of socks. (Note to self: learn how to eat before you start hallucinating about food.)

A few plum gnocchi and 30 minutes curled up in a wool blanket sufficed to get me more or less warmed up, but they certainly didn’t make it appealing to head out the door into the dark (and colder) evening. I had a back-up plan which involved completing this project with some swimming, but I decided to try to tough it out. After all, riding to the pool and back would require almost half of what I had left anyhow.

Once I finally got myself bundled up and out the door, lap 10 wasn’t too bad. I had a promise of company for lap 12, which was just enough motivation to get through lap 11 on my own.

Photographic proof that I got back out the door for the last stage (with extra clothes).

My main concern during the last trip out to the ski jump was where the turnaround point would need to be for the half-lap. My GPS watched seemed to be a bit unsure: the laps were somehow getting shorter, and I was almost a half km behind where I thought I should be. Moving the turning point meant I might need to go up an extra hill, and I was less than enthusiastic about that.

In the end, I squeaked by without the extra work, and finally came back into the warmth for good after 5 hours and 45 minutes of riding.

In total, the distance was 100.5 km, with 988 m of climbing (if we trust my watch). Interestingly, it also claims that the elevation of the ride as a whole decreased over the course of the day.


But I’m going to stick with that estimate anyhow.


  1. Comment by dent1111 | 11.17.2016 | 9:25 am

    Great job Erin! Very inspirational as I sit here eating my cinnamon roll and drinking coffee…

    Fatty, thanks for posting these nearly every day. I’m not able to ride the 100MoN again this year as I’m in a sling after major shoulder reconstruction surgery (be careful on those downhill mountain bikes kids…)
    Looking forward to riding it next year. My new cadaver tendons and I have already planned the Moab riding trip for the spring!

  2. Comment by Tom in Albany | 11.17.2016 | 9:28 am

    Great ride and report, Erin! Congratulations!

    We have anothaa winnnahhhhhhh!!!!

  3. Comment by Corrine | 11.17.2016 | 10:32 am

    Nicely, done, Erin! If I had curled up inside on a couch for 30 minutes to warm up, I would never have gone back out in the cold to finish my 100MoN. That takes extreme fortitude! And I agree, riding with studded tires in snow and/or ice is WAY slower. Way to go, finishing your first 100MoN (or KoN in this case0!!

  4. Comment by UpTheGrade, SR, CA | 11.17.2016 | 10:41 am

    That was a big effort for someone who doesn’t ride a lot. Great perseverance and an interesting ride report. Well done. Here in California it’s actually dropped below 60°F so I might have to ship riding in this bitter cold today ;-)

  5. Comment by MattC | 11.17.2016 | 11:33 am

    WOW Erin! I have to agree w/ @UpTheGrade…it was in the 50’s (F, not C) both yesterday and today, so I skipped last nights after-work-ride (well, in all fairness we also had sustained winds of 26mph, which is FAR worse than cold…er, well, what WE here in California call ‘cold’). I’m SUCH a wimp. You on the other hand are TOUGH AS NAILS! Going out THREE SEPERATE TIMES in snow and cold to complete a RIDICILOUS ride…I bow in your general direction (that would be to the Northeast from here)…you are AWESOME and quite an inspiration!

  6. Comment by MikeL | 11.17.2016 | 11:58 am

    I am such a wimp. My WY multi-day, multi-path, multi-bike 100MoN ride does not compare to these stalwart individuals. I bow before them in humble acknowledgement.

  7. Comment by Mark in Bremerton | 11.17.2016 | 12:01 pm

    All you hardcore northern latitude riders are what is causing global warming. Your determination alone is warming.

    Snow from *last* year?! Maybe not so warm after all.

    Great ride, cool photos. Way to go!

  8. Comment by BostonCarlos | 11.17.2016 | 2:30 pm

    Yeah… Snow from LAST YEAR!? I live in one of the coldest cities in non-Alaskan America and that makes no sense to me. Great work! Riding on snow for 100km is crazy tough!

  9. Comment by Brian in VA | 11.17.2016 | 4:02 pm

    Well done! The decrease in altitude no doubt caused by the compaction of the snow over the course of the day. Or something……

  10. Comment by Bykjunkie | 11.17.2016 | 5:39 pm

    WOW congrats Erin! Awesome report!
    Trondheim is one awesome town! I have been there twice (summer time) and loved to see what seemed to be EVERYONE riding and commuting.

  11. Comment by mbunge | 11.18.2016 | 1:08 pm

    What a ride! You’re an inspiration!

  12. Comment by Derek in Pittsburgh | 11.18.2016 | 1:51 pm

    The snow from LAST YEAR… that is a frightening prospect

  13. Comment by Nel | 11.20.2016 | 9:55 am

    Does your gps have a barometric altimeter? If so, that would explain the altitude creep.

  14. Comment by Erin | 11.21.2016 | 3:19 pm

    It is heartwarming to read all the comments and other 100 MoN posts!

    For clarification: the snow from last year is under woodchips and a few waterproof layers – Trondheim does indeed have some summer.

    And the GPS has a barometric altimeter (supposedly with correction, though maybe there isn’t a good reference point around here?). I’d noticed before that it varies from day to day, but since I don’t usually ride for that many hours, I’d never seen it drop like that on a single activity due to weather.


Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.