Those of you who follow the Fat Cyclist (by which I mean the blog, not me personally), know that I’ve been investigating having a Fat Cyclist jersey made.
More recently, I’ve been hinting at how cool this jersey is going to be and how excited I am to tell you all about it.
Well, as of late last night, I can finally tell you what’s going on.
When Stalking Pays
It’s been no secret at all since late last November when I put together my list of 50 Gift Ideas for Cyclists that I have become a fanboy of the jersey designs Twin Six has been coming up with.
What you may not have known is that back in December I started pestering them.
“Hey, you know, I’ve got this blog where I talk about cycling and stuff,” I told them, very convincingly, articulately, and — above all — frequently. “You should totally advertise on it and give me a jersey to give away in a contest.”
“Fair deal,” I said. And that’s how the Twin Six ad and the Twin Six jersey contest appeared on this site.
Encouraged by the knowledge that they could be worn down, I then pressed my case. “You know what? I need a jersey designed and made for my blog. You guys make jerseys, right? You should design and make my jersey,” I said.
Turns out it was cheaper to do the jersey.
So yes, while it’s of course totally obvious by the time you’ve read this far, I still want to make the announcement official: Twin Six, the designers of the coolest jerseys on planet Earth, is designing and producing the Fat Cyclist Jersey.
I Should Probably Show You The Jersey Now, Shouldn’t I?
So, last night Twin Six emailed me the first round of jersey design ideas (the jerseys you see above, by the way, are the designs Twin Six sells in stores and stuff. Click ‘em for more info).
I expected to like them.
I didn’t, however, expect I’d be so giddily in love with them. Out of the four jersey designs they sent, I could have been perfectly happy with any one of them.
I contemplated picking one of them and saying, “That’s perfect. Let’s make it.”
But there were a couple of little things I wanted to make sure of.
- That I got the most awesome color combination possible. Red/Silver? Black/Blue? Red/Black? Orange/Black? Hard choices.
- I asked them to insert a reference to Dr. Lammler.
So you’re going to have to wait until Saturday or Monday to see what the jersey looks like.
Hint: It’s awesome-tastic.
Thank You #1
Have you seen how many photos have been submitted in this week’s Photo Contest? 142, so far. And I love a lot of them. So a couple of thank-you’s are in order:
- Thanks, Kenny. My friend and riding buddy Kenny Jones of Kenny’s Photo is the one sponsoring this contest. Please show him you appreciate it by giving him some love — as his ad says, use the “Fatty” code at checkout and get $10 off your order. That’s a screaming deal.
- Thanks, Everyone. I always enjoy the comments in this blog and especially the work people put into comments on contest days, but having this huge number of really great photos to look at has been a real pleasure.
Hey, just for fun, here’s a small sample of some of the photos I like:
Awesome perspective, and I love the way the road and sky meet.
Look at this guy fly, on a ‘cross bike yet!
Thank You #2
I’ve done a lot of begging for votes for the Bloggies awards this week, and I appreciate everyone who’s voted for me. If you haven’t, today’s the last day.Â
I should point out that the other candidates for the Best Kept Secret award are all pretty dang cool. In fact, I have bookmarked three of them as new frequent reads. Check them out:
- To Whom it May Concern: You know how I sometimes write open letters? That’s what this blog does all the time.
- The Gilded Moose: This is the blog I would (try to) write if IÂ knew anything about famous people. Excellent satire.
- Woof Woofington: OK, I’ll be honest, I just can’t get past the premise of this one (a dog writing a blog). I’m sure it’s a fine blog,Â but I don’t think I’mÂ the target audience (as a child, I had a very traumatic experience while watching The Shaggy D.A., and now get shakes and shudders at the mere thought of talking dogs).
- Confessions of a Pioneer Woman: This is the blog I would (try to)write if I lived on a farm. And were a woman. And knew what “hiney tingle” meant.
We’ll find out who won March 12. I predict it will be me, because a comedy blog about the cycling lifestyle for the chronically overweight has huge appeal to the general populace.
PS: Today’s weight: 168.0.
PPS: I recommend checking back Saturday to see if I’ve posted the final jersey design. If I haven’t posted it by then, I’ll definitely post it on Monday. At which point, you can bet I’m going to be begging for some pre-order love.