This Contest Is Now Completely, Ridiculously Awesome (Yes, Now It Includes a Trip to the Tour de France)
A Holy-Cow-Did-We-Really-Do-This-It-Seems-Unreal Note from Fatty: Around 8:10pm on Tuesday, we crossed the finish line: More than $50,000 donated to both the LiveStrong and World Bicycle Relief pages.
A HUGE “thank you” goes out to Johan for putting together an outrageous challenge. An even HUGER “thank you” goes out to Team Fatty — by which I mean anyone who donated — for proving, once again, how incredibly generous people can be.
Also, big thanks to Trek for providing the Madone, to Gary Fisher Bikes for providing the FattyFly, to Nick Howe for providing the cool bonus-prize jerseys, and to Trek Travel for providing the Tour de France trip.
This has been the nuttiest contest I’ve ever done, and all the more awesome because it totally fell from the sky.
And now I get to spend the weekend in Arizona, riding with Team RadioShack. And — even more exciting — I get to give away two incredible bikes and the trip of a lifetime.
Sometimes, it’s good to be Fatty.
A Frequently-Updating Note from Fatty: For those of you who like to check up on the running contest totals (or if you want to go donate), click here for the LiveStrong Page, and click here for the World Bicycle Relief page. And to make things easy for those of you interested but too lazy to do the math yourself, I’ll update the amount-raised totals here from time to time.
- Tuesday, 10:00 AM: $79,482
- Tuesday, 11:20 AM: $83,088
- Tuesday, 3:00 PM: $91,902
- Tuesday, 4:20 PM: $94,052
- Tuesday, 8:30 PM: $101,662
- Wednesday, 6:00 AM: $104,447
Our Story So Far
For those of you who haven’t been following — and for those of us with short attention spans –here’s what’s happened so far.
- Last Thursday I wrote a blog post in the form of a resume cover letter to Johan Bruyneel, Director of the newly-formed Team RadioShack.
- On Friday, Johan replied, saying I could be on the team for a day if we raised $20,000: $10K for LiveStrong, and $10K for the World Bicycle Relief Fund. If we raised $50K — $25K for each cause — he’d also give me a Trek Madone.
- I started scrambling, figuring out how I could possibly raise that much money in under a week.
- On Sunday, I posted my response: a contest where you can win the Madone, signed by Team RadioShack, by donating to the World Bicycle Relief Fund; or where you can win a custom-painted Fat Cyclist Gary Fisher Superfly by donating to LiveStrong.
- Yesterday — within 24 hours of when I posted my contest — we hit not only the $20K mark, but the $50K mark as well. In other words, in less than one day after the contest began, you hit the stretch goal Johan set for us for the week.
- Johan began scrambling, looking for a new stretch goal.
- Last night (Monday), Johan posted a new goal, with a new prize, on his blog.
That new goal is to double the original stretch goal: raise $100,000 for these two causes by this Friday at noon.
And if we do? In addition to the prizes that will already be given away — the signed Trek Madone and the personalized, custom-painted Superfly — Trek Travel will donate one 2010 Paris Finishing Package (along with airfare) to witness the finale of the Tour de France.
Let me reiterate that point, using bold, italics, and underline for emphasis: If we can raise $100,000, someone’s going to win a trip to the Tour de France.
That is not a trivial prize. Nosirree. This is what you might call a grand prize.
And the thing is, at the time I’m writing this — 7:00 AM on Tuesday morning — we’re already 2/3 of the way there. So I believe we can do this.
So How Do You Enter?
The contest remains the same, basically (yesterday’s post has the details).
- Donate in multiples of $5 to LiveStrong for chances at the custom, personalized Superfly (aka “The FattyFly”). Pics of that in a minute. You’re going to love it.
- Donate in multiples of $5 to the World Bicycle Relief Fund for chances at the Trek Madone 6 Series with SRAM Red components, signed by Team RadioShack. (Yes, you will get to choose what size of bike you want.)
And regardless of which you donate to, you are also entered in the contest for the Tour de France trip. So when you donate at either page, you qualify for a chance the bike you selected AND the trip.
Of course, that trip is only awarded if we get to $50K for each of the causes by Friday at noon, MST.
What Are We Doing Here?
I know I’m asking for a lot of money here. Which makes this a good time for me to remind you — and me — that the reason Johan’s doing this, the reason these companies are donating their products, and the reason I’m writing this is simple and singular: to fight cancer and help kids have a better life. The prizes are cool, yes, but they’re gravy.
In short, by donating you’re doing a good thing, in a fun way. So thanks for joining me in this ridiculously awesome contest.
Oh, and also this is a good chance to make those end-of-year charitable contributions for tax purposes. Or so I’m told. Frankly, I don’t even know what that means.
Now Let’s See that FattyFly
Yesterday, I promised that as soon as Jesse Lalonde sent me mockups for the personalized and Fatty-Edition-Customized Gary Fisher Superfly — The FattyFly, as it’s now officially known — I’d post pictures.
What I didn’t count on was that Jesse would do two versions of the customization: one with orange accents (click the image to see it larger)…
…and one with pink (click image to see larger version):
Myself, I really would love to have the orange one. The winner is the one who gets to choose, though. What an awesome decision to have to make.
The Clydesdale icon is on the headtube and seatube. The cursive FatCyclist.com” appears on the underside of the downtube by the bottom bracket. “FattyFly” is a detail on the inside of the seatstay. “201” and “WIN” are on the insides of the chainstays. And as promised, the winner’s name goes on the toptube.
Here’s what the production art looks like, for those of you (like me) who love to obsess over these things (again, click the image for a larger version):
How do you get this one-of-a-kind FattyFly? There’s only one possible way: by donating to this LiveStrong page before Friday at noon.
I’m obsessively checking our fundraising status, in part because I’m amazed at how generous FatCyclist readers are, and in part because I really, really, really want to see someone win that trip to the Tour de France, in addition to the other incredible prizes loaded up in this contest.
I wonder what Johan will propose next, when we hit $100K sometime today or tomorrow.